Video Remote Interpreting
What is Video Remote Interpreting (VRI)?
Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) is a feature of Federal Relay's Video Relay Service (VRS). This option provides deaf and hard of hearing Federal employees with on-demand remote sign language interpreting in order to facilitate communication between individuals who are in the same location (i.e. office, cubical, front desk, etc.).
Benefits of VRI:
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with your managers, colleagues, peers using a certified sign language interpreter
- No need to reserve a live sign language interpreter in advance
- Communicate from your own office space
- All calls are confidential and no records of conversations are ever retained
- Available sign language interpreting in English and Spanish [For English/ Spanish translation, please send an email to FedVRSHelp@sprint.com (24 hours notice is required).]
VRI Toll Free Numbers
- voice/videophone: (877) 689-7775
- ISDN Access: 855.724.6514
- ISDN Spanish Access: 866.284.6939
How to make a VRI Call:
- Dial (877) 689-7775 from your videophone. Choose option 1 for English or 2 for Spanish
- You will be connected to a Video Interpreter (VI). Provide your agency name or Agency Bureau code to the VI
- If your videophone has audio capabilities, you may go ahead and start your call
- If your videophone does not have audio capabilities, provide the VI with the telephone number so that they may call back into your meeting. You have hte option to enable your videophone's speaker capabilities or the hearing person can speak through his/her cell phone or office telephone
3. Begin your conversation
Learn how to add our toll-free numbers to your contact list by following the step by step instructions here.
What equipment and/or broadband types do I need?
- A computer with built-in webcam
- A videophone or external webcam
- VRS software or app
- High-speed Internet connection, WiFi or LTE
Federal Relay does not endorse a specific brand of videophone equipment or software application. Federal users have the flexibility of using their preferred VRS application or equipment to access to VRI through a dedicated toll-free number(s).
Hours of Operation
English and Spanish
- Monday: 7 AM - 11:59 PM ET
- Tuesday through Thursday: 24 hours
- Friday: 12 AM - 11 PM ET
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Service will be provided on Federal holidays excluding those Federal holidays occuring on weekends
- Videophone: (866) 370- 2290
- Email: FedVRShelp@sprint.com
- Voice: (888) 215- 4299
- Fax: (913) 523- 9070
- TTY: (888) 215-4299
- Hours: Monday - Friday: 7 AM - 11 PM ET (including Federal holidays) Weekends: 10 AM - 7 PM ET
- Holiday hours: 10 AM - 7 PM ET New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day and Christmas